Villa Montenero is located in Cavalcaselle (Verona) and takes the name from the surrounding area referred to as Montenero (black mountain). Although the data available is limited, there is room to believe that the name of the area is linked to the massive migrations occurred in the XIV and XV centuries from Tuscany to Veneto. In particular, it is possible that some families originating from Livorno brought to this area the cult of the Madonna di Montenero, largely widespread at that time.
The first reference to Montenero in fact dates back to the year 1345, when a religious icon representing the Virgin Mary was found on the shore near Livorno. According to the tradition, the icon was originally located in a Greek Island called Negroponte and later on taken to Livorno by a young shepherd who, guided by the voice of the Virgin Mary (referred to as the “Queen of Angels”) , invited the population to build a santuario (sanctuary) exactly on the spot where the icon became heavier. The Santuario is still in the same location in the municipality of Monterotondo Marittimo
During the XIV and XV centuries, due to local fights, many people from Tuscany fled to Veneto and among them some families seemed to have moved to the area of Cavalcaselle. Here, a possible evidence of the presence of noble families from Tuscany is the presence of other villas in the area, like Villa Da Monte (nowadays partially abandoned), built in the Middle Ages by nobles from Tuscany at the time ruling the village. Another piece of evidence can be the local church from the XV century named after the Queen of Angels (Madonna degli Angeli).
Furthermore, the local historian and art critic Giovanni Battista Cavalcaselle (Legnago, 1819-1897) showed deep interest towards the artwork representing the Madonna di Montenero. It is therefore possible that such interest originated from the widespread worship of Madonna di Montenero in the area. Here is also situated the churh of SS. Filippo and Giacomo, built in 1756, where, among the two apostoles, Cavaggioni represented in the altarpiece also the Madonna degli Angeli (Queen of Angels)
Via Lorenzo 7, 37014
Tel.: +39 045 64 69 010